A Panel Discussion (PD) is being conducted on 'Mitigation of Risks in Al-Enabled Military Systems'. The speakers are part of a five-member team of international experts, functioning under the aegis of INHR, which is a US-registered non-profit organisation based in Geneva, dedicated to improving access to the United Nations. The team comprises of the following
- Mr Eric Richardson: President, INHR and Prof of Law
- Lt Gen John Shanahan (Retd): USAF, Inaugural Director DoD Joint Al Centre
- Lt Gen (Dr) R S Panwar (Retd): Former Comdt MCTE, Distinguished Fellow USI
- Dr Barry O'Sullivan: Former Vice Chair, EC High Level Panel on Al
- Dr Iben Yde: Prof of Law, Royal Danish Defence College
The objective of the seminar is to provide an overview of ongoing international efforts to regulate the risks which are associated with Al technologies in general and military systems in particular. It would highlight the differences in factors which drive risk evaluation in military vis-à-vis civilian systems, and provide an approach for risk evaluation and mitigation emerging from employment of Al-powered military applications, covering weapon systems as well as decision support applications.
Based on their unique expertise and backgrounds, each of the five experts will cover the 'Responsible Military Al' from different perspectives, with the aim of providing a holistic view in a language which policy makers and operational commanders alike can assimilate.